Although it’s only been a month and a half since I started this blog, I’m so happy to share that I’ve been nominated by the lovely Allison Judkins from Seeking Neverland for the Liebster Award.
For those of you who aren’t familiar with the Liebster Award, it’s a blog award where bloggers nominate and support other bloggers with a similar niche. A great way for bloggers to help each other and a great way for new bloggers to get their foot in the door.
Making the decision to finally start a blog has been an awarding decision. Not going to lie–blogging takes A LOT of work and my respect for bloggers has shot up to the sky. Yet, it’s been amazing to be part of a community of other travelers and bloggers. The amount of support I have been receiving is enormous.
Liebster Award Questions:
Who is your favorite blogger?I have several bloggers I love to follow and be inspired by. Right now, one of my favorite bloggers is Ola Goluzd from www.ola-goluzd.com. I don’t really get to meet other travel bloggers based in China, so when I met Ola over social media, we clicked instantly exchanging travel tips and blogging encouragements. This is one of the reasons why I love blogging. The community of meeting other bloggers with similar interest is so encouraging.
10 Random Facts About Yourself
1. When I’m not blogging, I’m teaching college students in China.
2. In high school, my family moved into the house that one of the Bone Thugz and Harmony members used to live in.
3. I have traveled to over 25 countries and lived in 4.
4. I sang Christmas carols to the princess of Thailand once.
5. I have been stranded on an island in the Philippines and had to be rescued by the coast guards.
6. I participated in a Disneyland parade.
7. I can’t drink and walk at the same time.
8. My goal is to travel to 30 countries before I turn 30.
9. Although I am Korean-American, my parents grew up in Brazil for most of their lives.
10. I went camping on the Great Wall of China for a night.
Questions from Allison:
1. Where was the first place you traveled to and what did it teach you?
The very first time I traveled abroad was when I was 12 years old to visit family in Brazil. My dad moved to Brazil from South Korea when he was in the first grade, so most of his life growing up was spent in Sao Paulo. He moved to the US for college, but I always appreciated this trip growing up because I was able to see a glimpse of my dad’s life when he was younger.
2. What kind of traveler are you? City, mountains, or beach?
All three– growing up in Los Angeles, I was lucky to experience all three so easily. If I wanted to go to the beach, it was an hour drive away. If I wanted to be in the city, I just had to drive down to downtown LA. If I wanted to hike up a mountain or snowboard down a slippery slope, I just had to drive up to Big Bear or any other ski resorts nearby (although sometimes it was fake snow).
3. Currently, what place is #1 on your bucket list?
Definitely, New Zealand.
4. What is the most daredevil’ish thing you have done while traveling?
In college, I went skydiving by the border of Mexico at 7 in the morning. That meant waking up at 4AM to drive down to San Diego, and driving back up right after jumping off a plane to make it back for my first lecture of the day in school. It was awesome though and totally worth it! As I was falling in the sky, I remember seeing both Mexico and California.
5. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
That’s a hard question. I would rather be able to teleport and live anywhere anytime. Haha is that a possibility???
6. What is your biggest challenge right now as a blogger?
As a new blogger, I am often overwhelmed by the enormous amount of information I need to learn and the information being given to me. It’s a constant learning experience.
7. Blogging comes with wearing many different hats, how do you manage your time?
I’m still trying to figure this out, but one thing that’s helped was designating a certain time of the day just for blogging.
8. Do you prefer to travel alone or with a companion?
Both! I think you get to experience very different things from both.
9. Where are you headed to next?
I am currently traveling around China for the next 2 months, then I will head back home to LA before departing for Jamaica.
10. What do you miss most when you are on the road?
Good homemade Korean food made by my grandma.
11. Do you have a favorite travel quote? If so, what is it?
“Travel is rebellion in its purest form. We follow our heart. We free ourselves of labels. We lose control willingly. We trade a role for reality. We love the unfamiliar. We trust strangers. We own only what we can carry. We search for better questions, not answers. We truly graduate. We sometimes, choose never to come back.” -anonymous
My questions for my nominees:
1. What has been your favorite trip so far?
2. What are some of your must-pack items for traveling?
3. Have you had an unexpected experience while traveling?
4. Who is the most interesting person you’ve encountered during your travels?
5. How do you deal with homesickness?
6. What is the most difficult thing about traveling?
7. What inspired you to start traveling?
8. How do you afford to travel?
9. Do you have any travel hacks or tips to share?
10. Where is the next place you want to go?
For more information about the Liebster Award, you can find it on The Global Aussie